- Recently, the Prime Minister of India addressed the virtual Global Vaccine Summit.
About Global Vaccine Summit:
- Host Country:
- The Summit was hosted by the United Kingdom (UK).
- Almost 50 countries including the business leaders, UN agencies, civil society, government ministers, Heads of State and country leaders participated in the Summit.
- Purpose: The Summit was intended to urge nations around the world to pledge funding for vaccinations to protect the world from future outbreaks of infectious diseases.
- Aim: The Summit was aimed at raising USD 7.4 million to immunize a further 300 million children in the world’s poorest countries by 2025.
- India has pledged USD 15-million as India’s contribution to the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunizations (GAVI).
Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunizations (GAVI).
- What is it?
- GAVI is a public–private global health partnership with the goal of increasing access to immunization in poor countries.
- Formation: 2000.
- GAVI has observer status at the World Health Assembly.
- GAVI’s approach to public health has been described as business-oriented and technology-focused, using market-oriented measures, and seeking quantifiable results.
- Significance: GAVI is not just a global alliance but also a symbol of international solidarity.