- The Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) has launched the “Healthy and Energy Efficient Buildings” initiative that will pioneer ways to make workplaces healthier and greener.
About the Initiative
- Nodal agency: The initiative has been launched by EESL in partnership with the U.S. Agency for International Development’s (USAID) MAITREE program.
- As part of this initiative, EESL has taken the leadership by being the first to implement this framework in its own offices.
- This initiative addresses the challenges of retrofitting existing buildings and air conditioning systems so that they are both healthy and energy-efficient.
- It will pave the way for other buildings to take appropriate steps to be healthy and energy-efficient.
- What is it?
- The Market Integration and Transformation Program for Energy Efficiency (MAITREE) is a part of the US-India bilateral Partnership between the Ministry of Power and USAID.
- Aim: It is aimed at accelerating the adoption of cost-effective energy efficiency as a standard practice within buildings and specifically focuses on cooling.
- Significance of the initiative
- Poor air quality has been a concern in India for quite some time and has become more important in light of the COVID pandemic.
- As people return to their offices and public spaces, maintaining good indoor air quality is essential for occupant comfort, well-being, productivity and the overall public health.
- Most buildings in India are not equipped to establish and maintain healthy indoor air quality and need to be upgraded.
Energy Efficiency Services Limited
- What is it?
- Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), is a joint venture of four National Public Sector Enterprises– NTPC Limited, Power Finance Corporation Ltd (PFC), REC and POWERGRID, and was set up under Ministry of Power.
- It aims to create market access for efficient and future-ready transformative solutions that create a win-win situation for every stakeholder.
- It is working towards mainstreaming energy efficiency and is implementing the world’s largest energy efficiency portfolio in the country.
- It helps in implementing programmes such as Unnat Jyoti by Affordable LED for All (UJALA), Smart Meters, etc.