- The Government of India has launched a new initiative SWADES to conduct a skill mapping exercise of the returning citizens under the Vande Bharat Mission.
About SWADES Initiative:
- To create a database of qualified citizens based on their skill sets and experience and fulfil demand of Indian and foreign companies.
- SWADES stands for Skilled Workers Arrival Database for Employment Support.
- Bodies Involved:
- This is a joint initiative of the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, the Ministry of Civil Aviation and the Ministry of External Affairs.
- MSDE’s implementation arm National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) is supporting the implementation of the project.
- The collected information will be shared with the companies for suitable placement opportunities in the country.
- SWADES Skills Card:
- The returning citizens are required to fill up an online SWADES Skills Card.
- The card will facilitate the returning citizens with suitable employment opportunities through discussions with key stakeholders including State Governments, Industry Associations and Employers.
National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC)
- NSDC is a not-for-profit public limited company incorporated under section 25 of the Companies Act, 1956 (corresponding to section 8 of the Companies Act, 2013).
- It was set up by the Ministry of Finance as a Public Private Partnership (PPP) model.
- Share capital:
- The Government of India through the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE) holds 49% of the share capital of NSDC, while the private sector has the balance 51% of the share capital.
- It aims to promote skill development by catalysing creation of large, quality and for-profit vocational institutions.